Tuesday 7 August 2012

At last! A French vernacular bulding secured on Kodak HIE 5x4 film

It has taken a while to get this image. Holidaying in the Cher region of France, I have for years been driving past this lovely grain tower near St Just, south of Bourges on the D2076. At least I think it is a grain tower...But each time, either I didn't have a suitable camera, no infrared film, or the weather wasn't worth getting the camera out. But at long last, I had the camera - an ancient MPP Technical 5x4 camera - and I had the film, some truly rare Kodak HIE infrared in 5x4 size, I also had the R72 infrared filter, a Bolex tripod, and cable release. Getting into the field was a bit of a mission as it is right beside the rather busy trunk route between Bourges and Moulins. There is a tiny pull in, and I was able to gently trespass and secure this lovely view with nifty cloudscapes that create excellent infrared photography. I took four sheets of infrared, and two of Ektachrome. I processed the film in Kodak HC110 to 'B' ratio, and printed the images onto 20x24 Agfa Portriga grade 3, later selenium toning the fibre prints to increase contrast. OK so this is a bit geeky, but look at the picture! Actually of course this image was scanned from the negative, but you get the idea. I have a handful of sheets of 5x4 infrared left, but this is the first successful outing for this box of film, which expired in 1993. I keep it frozen until I need it.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful image Matt, I'd love to see the print one day!

    Dave

    P.S. how old is the paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as Mark Loveday and I know Agfa Portriga was last made in the late 1980s. This paper is grade 3 but it is still soft and has a warm tone. Selenium toning helped get the contrast up a bit, and it looks better, but not as contrasty as the image published here. Let me know when you might visit us and I will bring the prints in. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete